Sunday, March 15, 2009

Little women

This post is dedicated to the book which instilled in me the love of reading. Hats off to the Louisa May Alcott for writing Little Women. Today had a chance of watching the screen adaptation of the novel.

The book is a gem of a book which I think most people should read. When I read it I was in my 4th or 5th standard I think. I had never read a proper novel.All that I read where things like famous five and Nancy Drews. But the book little women made me fall in love with other type of novels. I used to consider myself as jo march because at that time I used to be a tomboyish person. Maybe some people will dispute the "used to" part. Plus at that time I wanted to become a writer. I still have some stuff left of the novels I used to write at that time. But its the imagination of a 8 year old so you can understand I hope[:)]. Plus like Jo I liked romance stories. Even now I am a sucker for romance novels.


What really moves me is the fact that a book which was written in 1867 and early 1868 still seems to capture the imagination of all the young girls everywhere who do not dare to dream. Jo was my idol at one time. The novel follows the lives of four sisters — Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy March — and is loosely based on the author's childhood experiences with her three sisters(courtesy wiki). Each sister really has to deal with one thing or the other. Meg with vanity, Jo with her tomboyishness and hot temper, Beth with her illness and shyness and Amy with her selfishness. Ms. Alcott has portrayed the novel in a way in that though the whole concept of what was "appropriate" for girls and a lot of other things have changed in around 140 years, the story remains timeless.


(Pic: Louisa May Alcott)

The movie gives full justice to the book. Every single important instance in the life of the March family girls is depicted with great precision. On the whole I loved the movie and it brought back memories of the book I consider one of the best novels I have read so far.There are adaptations of the book into plays,musical,opera,movie and as an animated feature. Needless to say I have watched the animated feature before[:D] 1st movie was made in 1918. Makes me think of how ignorant I am. Dont even know when TV was invented. (I thought there was no TV back then) Seems there is a 1933 version of the movie starring Katherine Hepburn.Here are the main characters of the movie which I saw, it seems it is the much celebrated 1994 version:



Actors
Winona Ryder Jo March
Susan Sarandon Mrs March
Gabriel Byrne Friedrich Bhaer
Trini Alvarado Meg Marsh
Samantha Mathis Older Amy Marsh
Kirsten Dunst Younger Amy Marsh
Claire Danes Beth Marsh
Christian Bale Laurie
Eric Stoltz John Brooke
John Neville Mr Laurence
Mary Wickes Aunt March
Florence Paterson Hannah

Kristen Dunst is a small girl in it.. Very cute.. :) Susan Sarandon as usual is great. Others well I don't know much about them.. Winona Ryder gave a very convincing performance as Josephine March.
It was a trip down the memory lane to the book I loved a lot.:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember some of the portions from the book vividly, because it was my favoritest teacher who took it for us, Sandhya Padmanabhan. :-)

There are adaptations of the book into plays,musical,opera,movie and as an animated feature. Needless to say I have watched the animated feature before[:D]

Ahankaari! :-P
Every single one?? :-D

Anonymous said...

same here!!!!
brilliant book..i love d whole lot of ppl in it...bt d sequels were pretty borin...

Sindhya said...

@akky.. hehe i love animes.. i havent watched every single one.. but i have watched some good ones[:D]
@nayana.. i havent read the sequel.. so now i feel i shouldnt..[:D]